Connect with us

Renewable Energy Times

Qatar pre-qualifies 16 bidders for 500 MW solar tender

Solar

Qatar pre-qualifies 16 bidders for 500 MW solar tender



Among pre-selected bidders there are big European players such as Enel, Total and Engie, and also big solar manufacturers like Jinko, Hanwha Q Cells and GCL, with other bids coming from big Japanese conglomerates and companies from Spain, Germany, South Korea and Turkey. The first 350 MW portion of the big solar park is expected to come online by the end of 2020.

Qatar’s power and water utility Qatar General Electricity and Water Corp (Kahramaa), which is also the country’s transmission and distribution system owner and operator, revealed that it has pre-qualified 16 bidders for its solar power tender of 500 MW for which it launched the pre-qualification process in May.

As showed by a video published on the utility’s twitter account, pre-selected bidders are: Italy’s Enel, France’s Engie and Total, Germany’s Innogy, Turkey’s Zorlu Enerji, Spain’s X-Elio, Hong Kong-based CGL New Energy, Chinese companies JinkoSolar and Power Construction Corporation of China, Korean utility Kepco and Hanwha Q Cells, and five different Japanese big players such as Mitsubishi, Mitsui & Co., Sojitz Corporation, Marubeni Corporation, and Itochu Corporation.

Kahramaa said it will now issue the request for bids by the end of 2018, and that the project site has the capacity to potentially host 700 MW of solar capacity. The project will be located near Al-Kharsaag, west of Doha, the country’s capital city.

The first 350 MW portion of the solar park will be connected to the grid by the end of 2020, in accordance with the targets set by the Qatar National Development Strategy (QNDS) 2018-2022, Kahramaa also said. The project is being realized under the Build Own Operate Transfer (BOOT) modality and after 25 years its ownership will be transferred to Kahramaa.

The first phase of the project, which may be expanded to 1 GW, is estimated to cost between $500 and $600 million.

UAE-based Siraj Power Energy, which Qatar’s oil company Qatar Petroleum (QP) and Kahramaa had established in June, is participating in the project as a strategic national investor. QP holding a 40 % stake in the joint venture, while holding has the remaining 60 % interest.

Qatar launched its new strategy to diversify its energy mix with solar and renewables at the end of 2017. With abundant solar irradiation, solar is being considered as the most viable way towards a cleaner and lower-cost energy mix for Qatar. The Middle Eastern country, on the other hand, has been one of the last –in embracing solar energy. It hosts, however, a 300 MW module production facility in Doha which is run by local manufacturer Qatar Solar Energy (QSE).



Source PV Magazine

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Solar

Categories

October 2018
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Follow

Subscribe to notifications
To Top
%d bloggers like this: