Connect with us

Renewable Energy Times

Utility-scale wind installs in US halve in 7-mo, solar is more stable

Solar

Utility-scale wind installs in US halve in 7-mo, solar is more stable


September 7 (Solar) – The US put in operation 2.1 GW of utility-scale wind power capacity in the first seven months of 2018, a significant drop when compared to the 4.24 GW added a year ago, but large-scale solar installations remained relatively stable at 2.4 GW.

The shares of large wind and solar in new capacity coming online between January and July 2018 stood at 14.4% and 16.2%, respectively. Natural gas-fired power plants accounted for almost 68%.

In July alone, natural gas’ share of all new operational capacity was 94.2% with 1.5 GW put in operation, and the remaining 5.8% came from 92 MW of solar parks.

The table below contains details on new and cumulative capacity for the country’s main energy sources, and proposed additions and retirements by August 2021.

Capacity in MW New in 7-mo 2018 New in 7-mo 2017 Cumulative at end-July Additions by Aug 2021 Retirements by Aug 2021
Natural gas 10,005 10,708 521,900 82,256 12,617
Coal 10 268,590 17 13,207
Nuclear 4 102 108,180 7,721 7,579
Solar 2,386 2,676 33,950 57,110 2
Wind 2,119 4,243 91,050 89,289 50
Water 22 17 100,220 12,200 633
Biomass 66 180 16,330 641 70
TOTAL 14,735 18,203 1,187,620 251,758 34,457

The full FERC report is available at https://www.ferc.gov/legal/staff-reports/2018/jul-energy-infrastructure.pdf.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Solar

Categories

September 2018
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Follow

Subscribe to notifications
To Top
%d bloggers like this: